Wednesday, April 21, 2010

gutless

It has taken me a little over a week to sit down and actually write this.  I wanted to do it sooner, but it just wasn't something I was prepared to think about in depth, but obviously, how could I not?  This event has replayed in my mind countless times and I tried foolishly to block it out.

Last week I witnessed a "man" beat up his girlfriend.  He repeatedly punched her in the face while sitting on top of her, and broke her nose.
The thought actually went through his head that it would be okay to do this.  This is something that wasn't wrong to him.  
He was about 6' tall, and she was around 5'4.  She didn't stand a chance.  He would've known this.  When she pushed him back in retaliation for his first push, and he actually fell, that was it.
This kind of thing happens all of the time.  It happens to people who I'm friends with, people who I know, people who I see around.
And it is not okay.  No one in this world has the right to take away so much from you.
Most men can't even fathom what it would feel like to have every last bit of dignity, strength, pride, courage, and control over your own body taken away from them.  And it's not just as assault (of any kind) is occurring, the after effects are just as bad if not worse sometimes.

While this was happening, while I witnessed this piece of shit commit a horrible offence on someone who trusted him, there was a group of around eight males standing and watching.  
THEY DIDN'T DO ANYTHING.  
How could they not do anything?  The EASILY could have over powered him.
I lost my fucking mind.  How could this be happening and no one was doing anything?
If this happened to me, would anyone intervene?  Would I have a crowd of people watching me, like some barbaric ritual?  
Are people that scared to get hurt that they wont even stand up for someones basic rights as a human being?  
I was with my boyfriend and the two of us were the only people to yell at him,
the only two to call the police,
and the only two to clean her up and stay with her.

I wanted to write this to bring it to peoples' attention.  This is not a rare occurrence, it happens all the time.
If helping someone else means that I have to get hurt, so be it.  I know that if I were in that situation it wouldn't even be measurable how grateful I would be.
Please don't turn away and pretend it doesn't exist.  If it's not in your life realise how lucky you are, but be aware that not everyone else has that luxury.  And those people need help.

No one deserves to have their rights stripped from them.  And no one has the right to take them away from you.

No comments: